Monday, September 24, 2007

Can we go to a party without hula dancing?

We keep having those "I can't believe I'm actually in Hawai'i" moments. Last week, I drove about 60 miles around the south side of the island (see map),
to the lovely subdivision of Kona Paradise. After exceeding the speed limit around 20 miles of hairpin curves, I turned left and drove, virtually, straight down a cliff. Albeit, a paved cliff, bordered by lovely houses perched on roads to either side. I was going to see my friend, Bobbi, who I met at the Women's Retreat in Waimea back in August. Her house is down at the bottom of the cliff, right across from a private beach. Even though the beach is all 'ili'ili (smooth black stones-they use them in hula dancing like castanets), we set up our beach chairs and looked out on a beautiful cove, with deep, clear water and sailboats anchored about 250 yards out.



The surf is pretty treacherous because the shore is so steep. The waves grab you and pull you out. But once you're out, it's calm. I snorkeled around looking at the fish then rode a wave back to the shore. Bobbi's house is made out of lava rock, it's one big room inside with very high ceilings, tres Polynesian. We had a great time talking, and she fed me a delicious greek salad before I had to turn around and race back to Volcano to get Dash by 2:15. I got fried just from one hour in the sun. It had been raining all week in Volcano and I was turning into a mushroom. Turns out it was sunny barely a half mile from our house. So there I was, lounging on the private beach, having the "I can't believe I live here" moment.


Another moment was the birthday party we attended just around the corner. Can we go to a single party without people breaking out into hula dancing? I love it, I do, it's just surreal, that's all. That's our next door neighbor, Jay, in front. Behind him is Linda and Jeanette. They've been doing hula for years. If I could clap and sing at the same time I might try it. But, alas, I'm cursed with the honky-ain't-got-no-rhythm gene. Yes, that's Dash trying to learn the moves with the 'ili'ili.


Then there's this wonderful couple around the corner that remind me of my grandparents. Dr. Miller is always bringing me plant cuttings and stunning bouquets from his garden. He's from Louisiana so all the plants are azaleas, fig trees, dahlias and peonies.


Here's Dean co-leading the "Wild Cave" tour in the National Park. And all the tourists who were lucky enough to get on this very exclusive tour.



And finally, after months of patience, I finally met someone I can swim with! Turns out Dash's Japanese teacher is also a novice youth swim coach. I overheard her say "Master's Swimming" at a community meeting the other night. I didn't even know who she was, I just bolted over and said, "Swimming? Do you swim? Where do you swim? Can I come swim?" So, three weeks later I've finally found a pool that isn't straight out of the third-world. It's a REAL pool at the exclusive, Hawaiian's Only, private school. They let us riff-raff haoles in after hours because they have a community "outreach" program (oh the irony!). And they have a HOT TUB!

Other news: our new dog, Lele, is fattening up nicely. She and Chuck actually romp and play together. But Lele is slippery. She can open the screen door. She pulls all of Dash's stuffed toys out and chews off the noses. Not short on personality, this dog.

**Educational/Cultural Sidebar: The hula they are dancing above is to the tune of "Aloha No'o Ka'u." Ka'u is the district we live in. Here's the Hawaiian and the English to the song:

Ke `ike aku wau
Ka nani a`o Ka`u
Me ka nani a`o wai `o Palahemo
Aloha no `o Ka`u

Nanea i ka ho`olohe
Ka nalu nui e holu ana
A he shua Kaulana Bay
Aloha no `o Ka`u

Kaulana `o Kalae
E kû nei e
Ka hala ipu kukui mâlamalama
Aloha no `o Ka`u`

Ike `ia mâkou
Wai `ahukini
Me ke one wai kaulana
Aloha no `o Ka`u

Puana ka inoa
Ka nani a`o Ka`u
Ua piha me ka hau`oli
Aloha no `o Ka`u

Behold and see
All this beauty here in Ka`u
The beauty of the water of Palahemo
With love an affection for Ka`u.

Relax and listen to
The waves that break at the beach
I am sure the bay is Kaulana
With love and affection for Ka`u

Famous is Kalae
And there stands
The lighthouse that shines
With love and affection for Ka`u

Everyone was able to see
The currents of Ahukini
This water current makes this point famous
With love and affection for Ka`u.

This is the end of my song
The beauty of Ka`u
I am filled with happiness and
With love and affection for Ka`u

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so when we finally come out, Dean will take us on a tour, Dash will dance the hula, and Erin will sing us a song (probably while swimming). Might be a bit delayed...our AC went out and we've been suffering in the FL heat going on 4 weeks now. Long story. Apparently no one wants our money that we're trying to throw at anyone just to keep us from dying. Hawaii sounds wonderful...wanna trade?

David A said...

Ok so all that and you still didn't say that you hand picked beans, sun dried them, and fresh ground KONA coffee for your very own wake me up to the mountain island life morning!!!! Sounds like you are in such misery. Tallahassee REALLY needs you back. Think of all the good you could do here ... those aloha people are all way too happy already. Hurry before it is toooo late.