Monday, May 21, 2007

D-Day PM-La Quinta



We made it through the day! We are safe and sound in the La Quinta Inn by the Jacksonville Airport. My sister-in-law, Joy, and my niece, Macy, picked us up at about 4:30 and we made it here by 7:30. Chuck was very well-behaved on the car ride. She rode between the two back seats on the floor where the console was. The kennel and the luggage took up all of the cargo area.

Chuck is now snoozing on one of the double beds, she even ate and drank out of the little collapsible bowls I got today at PetSmart. She's a little freaked, but she's handling it in true greyhound fashion.

I've got a van booked for 5:30am tomorrow to take us to Air Cargo, drop off Chuck, and then take Dash and I to the main terminal. The human flight is at 7:30am, but Chuck's isn't until 9am, and she has to make a short stop in Atlanta. She will have a long day in the crate, but I'm not going to think about it. There's nothing I can do now.

I've been thinking about all things I've given away or thrown away in the past week. The only regret I have is that I ever owned so much stuff to begin with. I feel much lighter now. Giving away the collection of Dash's baby clothes was the hardest thing I did today, I just picked two special items and gave the rest to Goodwill. I couldn't afford to ship any more boxes.

And on that note, Tips for Surviving the Centerville Rd. Post Office:
1. Never, never listen to the conversations of the customers at the windows when there are 18 people in line ahead of you. They are all sending packages with signature confirmation, tracking, insurance, global express with a customs form, and they are arguing about the cost. You must avert your gaze and hum loudly to keep from attacking them with a 4 foot mailing tube.

2. It doesn't matter what time of day you go, there are always 18 people in line ahead of you, so just go whenever.

3. When it's your turn, keep your polite chat with the clerk very low so as not to incite the wrath of everyone behind you.

4. Just drive to the Lake Jackson post office.It took me 45 minutes to mail 43 boxes last week, and it took 30 minutes to mail 5 at Centerville.

Good night!

3 comments:

Katherine A said...

Keep the faith and keep smiling. You're almost there! You will be missed here at SCBC, but we wish you the best of luck and...now we have a place to stay when we visit.

Lori Klein said...

I love you more than pickles. Hang in there.

Georgianna said...

I love you more than pickels too!
Love reading your updates...and, believe me, you WILL get back that marvelous sense of humor..I know you too well! Thank God you are safe and Thursday is almost here...God bless,