Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Just a Tourist Today





Well, sort of. Dean was conveniently scheduled to work at the Ola'a Forest Preserve around the corner from our house, so we walked him to work this morning. After I got all of my work done, Dash and I headed southeast toward Pahala to check out the public pool. Good news--it's free, bad news--not heated. It was 77 degrees. However, I was the only one there and the lifeguard opened it for me. No lane separators, no other people. I don't think I've ever done that before. The lifeguard said she might swim with me in the future. She also coaches the youth swim team.

I kept it short for Dash's sake and then we continued another few miles down to Punalu'u Beach Park. Above pictures are of the beautiful black sand beach, lava formations, and a scavenging mongoose. There used to be a road right behind the beach but they closed it to protect sea turtles! In Florida they'd build a fence to keep the road open (or worse, just shrug their shoulders if turtles got killed).

No comments: